Virtual Summit Preview Chat - Make Data Matter

My biggest comeback is overcoming leadership issues is to say this…“if, the static/metric/report etc is important to the organization, please allow me the time to work on it.”. I share my thought process and workflow files with the requestor and insist that they work with me on the initial thought process and map it out before I even start building a cube.

Those are the only areas that I’m importing from. But there is financial and non financial data involved from each.

I do receive requests from end users (although not as often as I would like)! I read through our finance month end review notes each month and reach out to operations and their accountant if I think that there is an area that I could help with.

sort of what i was thinking of doing. the one place it might be most useful is sales data. so keep the monthly sales database at the summary level, but i’ve also had requests to do weekly, so maybe in the weekly one it also goes one level deeper in terms of details. i was also thinking of even storing the data at the daily level, and then it could summarize to the week, but i don’t know if that’s overkill.

I also kept reminding myself to pace myself, not everything needs to be built in a day. So as I was doing the process for the HR data, for example, I’d build out the cube and just load to there for one month to see if it did what I wanted. And then slowly port over until everything comes out of the cube instead of my morass of spreadsheets. It actually worked pretty well. Once one cube/process was set, I’d move on to the next.

Data is an important component of our analysis and things which make the data more meaningful for analytics is really a good feature.

1 Like

I’m hoping to craft workflows in a way to drive not only data entry and submission, including some way to acknowledge relative currency of the data. My plan is to convert people using excel workbooks for tracking worksheets of inventory or configuration or asset management or whatever into a Prophix cube for greater reporting accessibility. My hope is that having workflows kick off update requests and distribute reports based on those updates (including the last date updated to reflect relative currency) will help make the updates easier and more reusable as well as provide acknowledgement to those keeping the data relevant.

2 Likes

It’s a challenge when a company has soo much data, that it’s overwhelming, difficult to analyze, and slows down process. We were able to overcome this challenge by integrating sql and Prophix in creative ways.

1 Like

One tip is to start with a small sample group. Get a few folks in and experiencing the benefits and they’ll help spread the word!

1 Like

I’m always unsure about creating the overall presentation of the data and what is relevant to the situation without going overboard.

1 Like

Hi Laurie! It depends on your end user. Knowing what your end users like to see and what’s necessary for their level in the organization.

Great to see some of the common challenges most frequently faced