Alternatives to using Carry Forward From?

Fellow Red-Carpeters, How do you create forecasts that need to join actual and forecast information?

We have been using the Carry Forward From Actuals feature in all of our versions. This seems to be causing some performance issues. I have heard from multiple CSR reps to use Infoflex to copy actuals into the version up until the period we need to start forecasting, but this does not seem to be a functional option due to the fact there are multiple rule sets needed to 1) input actuals into the version through the most recent period and 2) use formulas to forecast beyond that… maybe I just am missing something. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!

@mark.visser

Hi Mark,

So there are 3 things to note on this:

1. In general - Carrying forward is a good option. However, it always depends on the complexity of the model and the size of the data in that cube.
    When using Carry-forward from Actual in more than 3 versions, there’s a high likelihood that you may end up with performance issues. When we run a health check report: The Bad Version Dimension is rated “Bad” based on >. More than 3 versions using a carry forward are utilized. With that being said the best alternative or remedy in case of performance issues caused by this functionality “Carry forward from X-version ” is to use the Info Flex process.

2. In your specific case - Mohamed (your CSP consultant) told me that he’s helping you to create a weekly cash forecast cube with multiple rule sets involved. Using carry forward is not ideal because many accounts that you are using will have multiple identities based on different rule sets. It’s a unique case and requires testing and different solutions based on your use case (WIP).

3. Next steps: If you need any clarification on this or need assistance, you can open up a new ticket and Mohammed can look at your Finance cube setup (account rule sets, etc…) and assess their version dimension situation.

Hey @mark.visser, I’m just seeing this for the first time. I use Carry Forward From in almost all my cubes for a single Working Plan version in each cube. I have heard it’s supposed to cause performance issues. I don’t see it myself. I do have another business unit that is taking the approach you’ve mentioned (InfoFlexing actuals into the prior months) and THEY are the ones with the performance issues (for different reasons, obviously, but my point is CFF isn’t helping them). So I don’t think carry forward from is the smoking gun many people think it is.

It’s been months since your post; what did you decided to do?

2 Likes