August 2024 Product Adoption Tip: Ensure Template Formulas Apply to All Rows in a Report

Have you ever ran into a situation where a template formula was only applying to the first row of a report? Or the formula you set in design mode is not showing up in report or data entry mode?

Design mode:

Data entry mode:

This is probably happening because the column containing the formula is not within the data view of the report. By clicking on the cog wheel > Locate on the data view, you can confirm this by seeing that the template formula column is not within the blue highlighted area of the data view:

1. To resolve this, right click on the dimension in the column dimension and select “Choose Members”:

2. In the selected members section, select “Insert Blank”:

3. Place the template formula in the newly created blank columns and you will see that the formula now applies to all rows in the report:

:slight_smile: It use to happen to me all the time, but i started using blank in columns and rows, specially if you want the headings or special summarization / average / sub-total in between lines, blank rows can help immensely.

Really useful tip, was happening to us when we first set up our templates and then realised how to fix it. Also realised that we could link the comments column to a certain time line to ensure that we can still see previous months comments in a table comparing previous to current month.

great tip, one suggestion is a tip on how to center titles for tables, I can’t adjust this functionality, and my reports look like big tables.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

This helps, thank you !!

Thanks for this tip!!

great reminder. Thank you

My hot tip – you can stop worrying about having blank rows for sums if you use offset within your sum formula.
Example:
You have data in Column C that you want to sum for rows 6 through 12, but the number of rows might expand. Most folks make a blank row 13 and put the formula “=SUM(C6:13)” in cell C14.
INSTEAD, I do not make a blank row and in cell C13, I enter the formula “=SUM(OFFSET(C5,1,0):OFFSET(C13,-1,0)”
No, I will not get a circular reference error - the formula understands that the end point of the range is always one row above itself. :slight_smile:

1 Like