Carry Forward In Versions

Hello,
After the Forecast video, I realized I could utilize the carry forward option to have Actual values populate easier. Would I lose previous data in the Forecast version by using the carry forward option? Basically what Im asking is does it overwrite the data in the Forecast version. Management may want to see the approved Forecast later on in the year without the Actuals.

Hi Shan,
Great question! When you use the carryforward function in your version dimension, it will not write over the existing data in those time periods with your Actuals data. It will just be pulling the data from another version into your data view/report if a time period prior to the forecast version start date is selected.
In summary, your Forecast data will not be removed if you change utilize the carryforward option.

I hope this helps!

7 Likes

You can utilize the Carry Forward functionality to fine tune your Forecast version to target only the months you wish to bring forward from your Actuals. Only the months you specify will be overwritten, and trailing months will remain available for user data entry.

2 Likes

Hi Shan, if it helps, here’s a visual representation of what happens to your data. As you may have realized through earlier posts/comments, the data does not get overwritten, but just layered-over, if that makes sense. And if you did pull back the start date in a version (say, April to Feb), you will once again see the data in the particular version (say forecast) show up, instead of the actual data.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes