January 2023 Product Adoption Tip: Reusing Old Templates

This is the time to prepare your templates and report structure for the new year! You do not need to create new templates for your report. It is possible to reuse existing templates, updating the dimension members for the new year and ensuring that the formatting does not get skewed while updating the dimension members.

How do you keep the formatting of your templates?

To ensure that the formatting of your templates do not get skewed, you need to ensure that the Design Mode settings of your report are unchecked.
The following steps show how to uncheck the Design Mode settings of your report:

1. Click on the cog button for the relevant data view on the report you would like to update
  2. Select Properties
    Picture1
  3. Select Settings
  4. Uncheck Map axis member
    Picture2
    Note: When Map Axis Member Selection Change is selected, all formatting (font, bold, color, etc.) is tied to the member selection. This means that if you move or remove the member selection, the formatting will be moved or removed with it.

The setting to keep formatting on my template is one of the best things i’ve learned in template studio. It makes updates that much quicker and yes reusing templates becomes easy as well. Great feature.

1 Like

Very helpful for rolling templates forward.

Very nice feature, will be useful.

I do this all of the time, very useful!

Very useful information. I reuse old templates all the time.

this is very helpful and my formatting now does not get messed up when I make changes!

Very helpful, thank you.

Thanks for sharing! Very helpful.

I use this feature all the time. It is very helpful!

1 Like

Very helpful. We have starting doing this.

Recycled Templates! Nice!

Very helpful for recycling reports.

I use this all the time for reusing old templates or changes in business requirements.

Good to have for when rolling those older templates forward

This was really interesting, thank you!

The setting to Keep Formatting constant or dynamic is really important. We learned it a year or so after implementation and it made a huge difference. I highly recommend making it something very front and center of training when doing implementations.

1 Like

This is very helpful to know!

Extremely useful information

I wish i would have seen this a couple of days ago when i was adjusting a template. You can bet i saved this info!