[July 2021] Product Adoption Tip: Grouping your Data Views

Have you ever been in a situation where you need to add multiple data views to some of your reports? You may want to consider adding them to a page hierarchy group to make it simpler to navigate reports as well as reduce the number of pages generated by the report. Here at Prophix, we strive to not only make it easier for you to use our software but to make it more convenient as well.

Page hierarchy groups is used in template studios when you have dimensions that are shared between the data views in your template.

How To:

Page hierarchy groups are created automatically when you have at least two data views in the template.

2021-07-09%2017_59_28-CSP%20Newsletter%202021-07%20ONE

Looking at the panel on the left-hand side, you can see that the page hierarchy group drawer appears at the top. Here you can click on the config icon (2021-07-09%2018_07_06-CSP%20Newsletter%202021-07%20-%20cog%20icon ) you can choose for either Prophix to auto generate a page hierarchy group or you can manually create one yourself by clicking “New”.

2021-07-09%2017_59_57-CSP%20Newsletter%202021-07%20-%20TWO

Auto Generate Page Hierarchy Groups:

By clicking the “Auto Generate” option, Prophix will add dimensions to a group that is created based on dimension type (Account, Time, Version, Time Perspective, Geography, etc.).

Prophix will group the dimensions even if both dimensions belong to different cubes if they share the same hierarchical structure.

Manually Generating Page Hierarchy Groups:

To manually create a page hierarchy group, select “New” and you will be greeted with this popup:

Here, you can edit the name of your group (1), How you want your members to be displayed (2), if you want it be displayed in a list or hierarchy (3) and if you want to hide the dimension at runtime (4).

Below these options, you can edit your page hierarchy group. You must select to include at least two dimensions. You can do this by clicking the checkbox beside the dimension you want to include.

You can select one of these dimensions to be your primary dimension. This allows you to select a base member.

You can now select a base member for the primary dimension only.

Once you click “OK”, your page hierarchy group will have been created.

Once you have created a page hierarchy group, you can click on the drawer, and you will find options to either edit (2021-07-09%2018_15_29-CSP%20Newsletter%202021-07%20-%20PENCIL%20ICON ) or delete (2021-07-09%2018_15_54-CSP%20Newsletter%202021-07%20-%20DELETE%20ICON ) your page hierarchy groups.

2021-07-09%2018_03_19-CSP%20Newsletter%202021-07%20-%20EIGHT

Let us know how you will use page hierarchy groups in your reports!

1 Like

Great tip! I’ll be curious how other users integrate this tip!

I like to group page members, then in the properties cog (of the page member you just grouped), deselect ‘visible at runtime’ checkbox. This reduces the number of drop downs users see in the page selection panel. Also significantly reduces the export size when exporting into excel/pdf.

1 Like

Good information. Will use it when required

Great tip Miral! I look forward to implementing this into my system.

Thank you for this tip.

Thank you for the useful tip!!

We have 10 data views on our Detailed P&L and group them by the Alternate Hierarchy Time-Years so our users can choose which year to view. This is especially helpful at the beginning of the new year when you want to see previous year data, but current year is automatically selected.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

Very useful. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for this tip Miral!

Thank you for sharing, it’s a helpful function.

This is great, thank you.

great tip. we have ours set up as division, department, time.

We use this, and I will experiment with making things invisible at runtime for a cleaner look.

Thank you for sharing!