June 2021 Product Adoption Tip: Organizing Auto Text in Templates

As we continue our spring cleaning chapter, let’s chat about a topic that we rarely brought up: organizations within the templates – specifically organizing your Auto Texts. Prophix gives the user the ability to rename objects/items within every part of the software. This in turn enables administrators and users for seamless knowledge transfer when reviewing the Template’s design

Auto Text Recap

Auto Text is the Template Studio feature that a designer uses to add predefined elements to a template or a printed report to display dynamic information.

When you initially add Auto Texts in your template, the system will default the names of each Auto Text as follow

Renaming

To rename, follow the instructions below

1. Open your report in “Design Mode”
  2. Find and open your “Auto Text” drawer
  3. Select item you would like to rename
  4. Select the rename icon next to the pencil✏️or right-click and select “Rename”
  5. Update with the new title and confirm the change
  6. Repeat step 1-3 as needed
  7. Save the report

Why Rename?

There are a couple of benefits to organizing your Auto Texts:

• Help users can easily identify the purpose of each Auto Text
  • Minimize the possibility of altering the wrong one
  • Save time and stay organized

Is this currently performed in your reports? Let us know and if you have questions, ask away!

2 Likes

I haven’t renamed the auto texts before but I appreciate the organization aspect and it would be easy to implement. Thanks!

1 Like

This is extremely important to do, not only in auto-text, but also when building a process. Labelling and including a description help prevent future issues in the event of staff turnover or just forgetting what a step is supposed to do.

1 Like

I’ve never actually played with this feature, but I can see how for some of my reports this will be useful!

1 Like

This is something easy to overlook. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

This is very nice tip. Thank you.

1 Like

Interesting tip to use. Thanks

1 Like

Great reminder. When you’ve got several of them on a report, it is good to give them unique names. Likewise, for each dataview in a report.

1 Like

Agreed naming is a key, especially if you have multiple data views in one template. Always interested to see tips like these.

1 Like

It can be funny how some of the tips are very straightforward, but they add huge quality of life improvements to our Prophix experience. Thank you for them and keep them coming!

1 Like

We do that too - also making sure to rename the ad hoc views included so they are easy to find later if you have multiple in a view

1 Like

We do this as well, the ability to rename is nice, so we know what dimension we use for that particular auto text.

1 Like

I agree. Sometime we forget the most straightforward processes.

Great tip as I use the auto text feature frequently.

Immediately implemented, Great simple Tip.

I’ve only used the renaming tool for data views and not auto text. I’ll start using it now. Thanks!

Thanks for this simple, but great, tip! I will use this on my reports.

Great tip - can’t wait to put to good use!

I try to rename the Auto Text and the other items in the report such as Data Views to make them more clearly identifiable. Good suggestion and info.

I haven’t tried this yet but need to!