November 2023 Product Adoption Tip: Prophix Password Policy, Modification, and Reset Instructions

Prophix password Policy:
Password policies determine how long and what type of characters end users can use in their login passwords. We strongly recommend setting a minimum password length of 10 characters. This suggestion is based on expert advice and is supported by the information presented in the following chart. Essentially, this recommendation is intended to thwart potential brute-force attacks that could compromise passwords easily. below is a visual representation illustrating the alarming speed at which passwords can be cracked.

Modifying Prophix Password Policy:
If your company requires a certain level of security when users set up their log in passwords, you may want or need to set certain parameters. For example, you may want to add a password expiration timeline or a password length requirement. This requires a Security Administrator role with Security Manager access. The following steps outline where and what edits can be made to change your Prophix password policy.

1. Click on the Prophix menu button and select Security Manager
  2. Click on tools and select Password Policy. Here you will find the parameters that could be adjusted Some of the options are set by default and cannot be altered. Below you can see the areas that can be adjusted.
  3. Upon completion of the password policy changes, click OK and save the changes.

Reset password instructions:
You have multiple ways of either resetting your Prophix password or sending another user a password reset link.

Option 1: Reset Password via the Login Page:
The easiest way to reset your own password or another user’s password is via Prophix’s login page using the Forgot Password? Here’s how to reset your Prophix password.

1. Go to your login page and click Forgot Password?
  2. Type the user’s email you are trying to send a reset link to and click Send link.
  3. Follow the instructions in the email to reset your password.

Option 2: Reset Password using Prophix Security Manager:

1. Click on the Prophix Logo and go to Security Manager
  2. Highlight the user you would like to send the password reset link to
  3. Navigate to Tools then Reset Password
  4. You will receive an email to reset your password. Follow the instructions to reset your password. Below screenshot illustrate how to find Reset Password option via Security Manager

Note: The option “Send Invitation” is also an alternative way of sending a user a reset password link. Follow the same steps as above, highlight the user you would like to send the email to, but this time select the option Send Invitation.

Thank you. Great info. The time for a computer to crack a password is very interesting. I have some personal passwords to change…

2 Likes

The chart showing time for a computer to crack a password is very interesting. Thank you for all of this info.

1 Like

We have SSO set up so our passwords for Prophix are maintained by our central policy for updating passwords.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you for this info.

1 Like

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

1 Like

All of my users have had problems resetting their passwords on their own and have had to request that I use the Reset Password through Security Manager. Why is that?

Interesting Matrix, I feel minimum 8 characters is usual standard.

Good information to know.

I love that we use SSO (single sign on) in Prophix, and therefore, password management is handled by our IT department with only one point for them to manage. Finance just maintains the users and what level of security each has in Prophix.

2 Likes

Converting to SSO in December. Did not know we had the option of changing the password parameters.

Thank you. I am in the process of updating our policy to conform with our company policy for other software products. I will be looking at SSO some time next year.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

The computer crack grid is very interesting!

Interesting… Thanks for the information.

Wow - great info, had no idea.

Interesting information, had no idea that Prophix could do such security management.

1 Like

Great refresher! thank you!