September 2021 Product Adoption Tip: Filtering Tiles Through Page Members in Dashboard

Tiles on your dashboard screen are meant to give you quick and easy access to information in the form of either badges or charts. We can filter through this information in each tile individually by page members, however, we can also group tiles that are alike to filter through page members simultaneously.

We can go ahead and add filters to specific tiles by specifying which page dimensions you want to be able to filter by in the tile properties. You can only add page dimension filters to tiles that are using a data view (You can only add filters to chart tiles and badge tiles unless the badge tile is using a fixed value).

Now when you navigate to the tile that you have set a filter for, you will see an icon on the top right-hand side of the tile allowing you to set your filters (image ). You can click on this icon and filter through your page members.

Let’s take this to the next level and group some tiles so we can filter through their dimensions all at once.
Navigate to Dashboard Studio and open your Dashboard file. On the top-left-hand side of the screen, you should see a button called “Edit Layout”

Click this button to add tiles to a group
When you click this button, you will notice that all the tiles that can be added to a group have a plus sign on the tile indicating that the tile meets the requirements to be added to a group.
The prerequisites for adding a tile to a group is as follows:
• A dashboard can only contain one tile group
• Only tiles that use data views can be added to tile groups (only chart tiles and badge tiles)
• The data views linked to the specific tiles must come from the same cube
• The data views must have page dimensions

You can go ahead and click the tiles that you want to be grouped together.

You will notice that the tiles you have selected are now highlighted blue indicating they are a part of the tile group.

Once you’ve made your selection, you can hit the “OK” button on the bottom-right-hand side of your screen.
You will now see a pop-up asking you to select which page dimensions you want to filter by.

Now, when you open your dashboard, you will notice an icon next to some of your tiles (image ). This indicates that the given tile is a part of the tile group that you have created.
You can filter through page members in this tile like normal but now all of the tiles that are a part of that tile group will also be filtered to view the same page member selection.

Let us know if you use filters and how you find them useful!

1 Like

Use them all the time. Love it.

I have not used these functions as we have put Prophix forecasting models on hold

My team created a Project Manager Dashboard using this feature!

We will have to add these features to our dashboards. Thank you for the tip.

I’ve not used this, thank you for sharing!

I have not used this function, but will try. Thanks.

We use these. They are very helpful.

We use this feature and like it.

Ill be implementing this once we get the cloud up and running

They are very helpful. Thank you!

We currently don’t use dashboard but may in future.

We have not used this feature yet.

I havent used this before, thanks for the information.

Will have to try this out, thanks!