📊 Step-by-Step Guide + Video to Automate Your Report Distribution

Thank you for putting this video together and walking us through the process. I’m just putting my first cube together and know this video will come in handy when I’m finished and reports are ready to be distributed.

Report binders have been an instrumental tool in helping to ease report distribution during month end. Thank you Harald for helping getting us started and George for helping us to finalize everything!

This is a great video! We use Report Binders to distribute our month-end financials.

Distributing reports through Prophix might be our next move, so this might come in handy.
PS Love the quote from Lincoln :slight_smile:

Thank you George. We have all the elements…reports and a report binder and a step in a Workflow to send these out monthly, but it was great seeing this all tied together and that the distribution step could be automated as long as we remember to build in those other Workflow steps around it (such as moving along our named sets etc) Thank you for putting this together!

+1 for report binders, and workflow tasks to structure review and distribution of reports. Many thanks for this.

Thank you for sharing! Great information

Report binders save me so much time each month! This PDF is a great tool to have save incase anyone needs a little reminder on how to put one together!

1 Like

Thank you! Report binders save time and are very useful.

We have started scheduling our P&L each week to general managers. Previously they could not access up to date reporting but now they can rely on data which is current not previous month’s data.

1 Like

@jakob and @emily.anauo,
The way I handle the “one entity only” issue is through false users. I setup an email distribution list to include the recipients of the report, then I creat a user in Prophix for that distribution list. Don’t assign it a license and make it read only access just the element you wkat in your single report. Sending the report binder to that user will make use of standard security protocols to limit the contents to just that report.

This shifts the administrative burden to email list management, so you may or may not prefer it over the separate report method you mention. But I like it better because I can make a change to the report or the binder and all recipients inherit that change, rather than having to change a g’zillion otherwise identical report templates.

In our case, it’s jobs. We have reports that need to be distributed and packaged by job. So I create one exchange distribution list and one Prophix user for each job, and use security to limit the job members that user can see to just the one job.

Adding someone new to the list of recipients? Add them to the exchange distribution list.

This means I get 20 different reports because I am on the distribution list for 20 different jobs, but those who only have interest in 2 jobs only get those 2 reports.

There are downsides. But it’s functional.

1 Like

Great video and thanks for the PDF version. I haven’t implemented any report binders yet but am excited to do so as I believe it will save us time.

Thanks Bob. Very interesting approach. That “false user”-thing is a cool trick that I often use in data entry wf tasks, where a different then set security is needed for a wf task owner. But as you mentioned or as I understood, for the report binder process the then necessary email list management looks to be too heavy in our case. But I will test that, thank you.

Hopefully the great Prophix Team will find a way to implement a functionality, that allows to pre-define the member selection for a report binder export ad hoc - within the scope of security of course – somewhen in future.

1 Like

I’ve also used the false user for workflow purposes. We have a lot of false users!

1 Like

This will come handy during and after month-end. Plus, I feel like once I create a report binder and automate it, this might be useful for the rest of my team as well (especially those that aren’t as proficient with Prophix as some others. Thanks for the share!

Report binder is great, we put it in our workflow task so it can automatically send reports to users.

Great video!! Very useful!

I use report binders a little bit, but there was definitely an extra couple tips in here that will prove helpful. I like the scheduling, though nothing in my current report binders is really fixed in terms of scheduling (i.e., month-end reports which we do once we’re closed, it’s never really consistent). Still.

1 Like

Report binders along with security settings is proving to be one of the more invaluable features of Prophix. Thanks.

I wish there was a way you could edit the outside files within Prophix.