Unraveling issues: A guide to effective troubleshooting

This session will take place on Wednesday April 3rd at Prophix Live! 2024

Let us know if you have any questions for Sally down below!

Looking forward to seeing everyone attending the conference! If you have any questions about this session or the topic, please let me know.

1 Like

Do you see anyone having issues with procedural calculations that randomly stop working? How would you trouble-shoot your way through procedural calculations when they are done behind the scenes? Ours were created several years ago before I took over a few processes they are in and I’m struggling to trace back how they work and what’s going wrong with them.

Hi Amanda! For procedural calculations, you would first need Model Manager access to see how the calculation is set up. From what I’ve seen, there are two main places to check when the procedural calculation is no longer working as expected:

1. Check the formula itself to confirm if the logic is correct. You can use “Show Formula using Names” to see the account names that are used in the calculation. I would also check to confirm the accounts used in the calculation are correctly populated. Sometimes I see procedural calculations that are supposed to multiply by a percentage, but then it turns out the percentage account wasn’t populated with data!

2. Check to see if there is anything triggering the procedural calculation. Often, a procedural calculation is either calculated upon data entry into the data entry trigger accounts, or by a Procedural Calculation process. Sometimes, it may just be the procedural calculation process hasn’t been run after an update to the information!

Hope this helps answer your question!

does Prophix have any plans in the future to implement Global admins the ability to see Prophix in a specific User’s view? This would be super helpful to see who is left out of workflows, if processes open for a specific user, and identify security issues. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi Casey, I’ve passed this on to our product team. Thanks!

@amanda.chilson, after following @sally.lu1’s steps below, if that doesn’t quite get you to your solution, I find that a good step is sometimes to convert it back to a normal calculation to see what it calculates in real time. First, save off the original values, perhaps by creating an ad-hoc and saving it to excel. Then in Model Manager convert the calculation type to “Leaf Formula” and republish. The compare the new ad-hoc values to the ones you saved off.

They should match.

• Assuming they do, you can now adjust the calculation and get it correct, testing it by republishing the cube and checking the ad-hoc for the results.

• If the values don’t match, then it may be that you have some calculations dependent upon others, and they may not be being executed in the correct order.

1 Like