Wishlist item - Email user on import failure

We import sales nightly - if someone has not caught an EDI issue, a product which doesn’t really exist will try to import and records are rejected. It would be great if when that happens, I could have an email sent to a specific user (of my choosing) with a list of the rejected records. Then, first thing in the morning, they could look for those products and correct them before they head for the warehouse, or worse get billed out.

Hi Jessica, Thanks for sharing. I will pass this on to our product team.

I concur. Sometimes I forget to check, and then later find out an import failed when end users expect to see data that isn’t there.

2 Likes

It will be very helpful addition, to send results/status via email, this will enable targeted email to particular person/team rather than Whole process email going to one person.

Agree! This would be really helpful to have

1 Like

Hi @jessica.turcotte - does this Help Center Knowledge Base article help Process Failure Notification via Email

2 Likes

@jessica.turcotte, I do this today with a combination of Prophix emails and Outlook rules. (I use outlook as my email client; I’m sure other email clients have similar features.)

For each process, you already have options available for notifications based on run status. These can be directed to your user account which will then be sent to your email.

In Process Manager, open your nightly job file, then:

1. Highlight the root folder
  2. Click the Advanced tab in the right-hand pane
  3. Check the box to send notifications after the process runs
  4. In Frequency, you can choose “Always”, “Only if Not Successful”, or “Only on Failure”.
  5. Choose the user(s) who should be notified.

I like to be notified about ALL operations because I’m nerdy that way. After all, a non-message might mean that email notifications aren’t working, whereas a positive notification tells me the process ran and the notifications are also working. This gives me confidence that if the process doesn’t work, I’ll get the notification too. But my cohorts hate me for that philosophy so you may want to choose only on failure or only on non-success.

The difference is whether you want to be notified on warnings. If you aren’t going to do the “Always” option, I recommend choosing the “If Not Successful” option. Downright failures are few and far between.

Here’s a screenshot of the above, but I have more below the screenshot:

Then, over in my outlook, I have rules rules rules!

My first rule is to take all of my Prophix messages and send them to a folder so my inbox doesn’t get deluged. For the rules, I move any emails from “no-reply@notifications.,prophix.cloud” into this folder.

(I even have a second rule to move any from this address with attachments to a “Binder” subfolder so I get all my binders in one place without them being intermixed with notifications.)

Then I apply “view filters” to highlight failures (red) vs successes (green).

If you use outlook, you can setup these display options by:

1. highlighting the target folder, then
  2. Click the “View” tab
  3. Choose the “View Settings” tool, which will pop up a dialog
  4. Click the “Conditional Formatting…” button, which will pop up another dialog
  5. Then “Add” rules for each of these display options.

You can see in this screenshot I’ve added 3 rules at the very bottom, one for Success, one for Warning, and one for Failure.

By the way, if you want to, you can create an outlook rule to give you a pop-up on any “Failures” that you receive. I haven’t done that in my case but it is one of the options. On the other hand, if you limit your Prophix job notifications to just when success doesn’t happen, having them land directly in your inbox may be exactly what you want to happen.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I use the similar rules, just use two folders Failure and Success based on the Subject line as when a process is failed it has a word “Failure” and process is Successful it has word “Success” additionally depending on Process criticality you can make a rule for “Warning” as in case one or more steps have warning e.g. Record Rejections Warning etc.

1 Like

You’re amazing! Thanks for all the detail, Bob - always appreciated