August 2020 Product Adoption Tip: Tried Any of the Tips From the Model Maintenance Guide?

We included the Prophix Model Maintenance Best Practice Guide in the latest CSP newsletter! Have you tried any of these optimization tips to maintain your models on a regular basis?

Check it out and weigh in here!

Prophix Model Maintenance Best Practice.pdf (173.5 KB)

I am looking forward to trying these tips! Thank you!

1 Like

I really like the tips on the version dimension.
We do remove zeros and optimize fact table process on weekly basis, so these are really helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve used all of these tips successfully in the past. Sometimes the models do get large over time and become a bit slower.

1 Like

Definitely are going to be trying these out

At a PXUC (think it was Washington), I gave a presentation on my journey of improving the processing time of one of the cubes. Memory is vague, but before I started making changes, the series of tasks and reports would take about 30 minutes. After implementing many of these changes, and more, I got it down to about 15 minutes. Bad habits had made their way into cube development. I walked the audience through every clean-up step I did, and what time saving it gave me.

Lags and leads are process killers. I got many of them out of my model. If needed, I converted them to procedural calculations so as the reporting would run quicker.

I was also doing too many needless formulas in the account dimension. I leveraged the mapping table (something simply) and ensured my imported data was cleaner.

Talk about old versions, I had three years of monthly reforecasts still in the model. No one was going to ask me to compare the February 2012 version with the May 2013 version.

In reports, limited my use of unique combinations with three or more dimensions in them. Even more a killer when you ask for null rows to be hidden.

So, plenty of small things that can be done that make a big impact.

2 Likes

Looking forward to trying these tips.

Thank you.

1 Like

I hear ya @paul.vickers, versions seem to be everyone’s weakness!

Thank you for the tips. we are always looking for ways to be more efficient and decrease run times.

1 Like

Thank you! I will need to utilize these tips to keep our reports running quickly!

Have not had a chance to use just yet.

Yes I have tried some of the recommended maintenance listed. I have also started removing some of our earlier years data as a way to help clean up our Model.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips. I am going to utilizes these tips and see what results I get. Thanks!

Thanks for the interesting tips.

I will be putting these tips to use this week as I perform clean-up prior to opening our new year.

1 Like

New year, new you :slight_smile:

These tips are very interesting. Thank you!

we run cube optimize process nightly.

I will be incorporating these tips for sure! Thank you all!

Thanks for putting these tips out there…very useful!