March 2021 Product Adoption Tip: Row Notes

The Row Notes function lets you add comments on your reports. Since a Row Note automatically links to a particular member combination, you can have a different Row Note for each page member. A classic use case of Row Notes has us including them in a variance report. With help of Row Notes, you can add comments to each variance line item.

Let’s take a look at how it works!

It’s a three-step process:

Step 1

Add a Row Note in Design Mode.

Step 2

Enter comments in Data Entry Mode.

Step 3

View your report in Report Mode.

Besides seeing comments on your report, another benefit of using Row Notes is that it’s page member-specific - meaning that when you change your page member, you will have a fresh set of Row Notes.

You are looking at the month of January and its corresponding Row Note.

When we change the page member to the next month, we see a fresh Row Note.

Cell Comments vs. Row Notes

You might be wondering whether you should use Cell Comments or Row Notes in your reports. For one thing, you add Cell Comments on your reports directly.

And unlike Row Notes, which are embedded in your report, Cell Comments only show up when you hover on a cell.

Tell us if you will use Row Notes - and in which types of reports you’ll use them!

Quick question: I used to use cell comments for when we do our budgets/forecast. I noticed that my cell comments disappeared once we changed the version from “working version” to “final”. Is that a glitch or is that supposed to happen as once we change any parameters, the comments disappaear? Also, I think the flexibility of row notes for budgeting might be more useful - I will try that out this budgeting cycle!

Thanks for the update. We have used this feature but sparingly in our forecast models

I use row notes in budget templates for budget owners to explain why their budget is higher/lower than the prior year’s budget.

2 Likes

We have started to use row notes for our monthly financial reviews. It is a great way to document our review.

1 Like

We do not use row notes but I can definitely see where they would be useful for us.

Thank you.

3 Likes

We don’t currently use them, but it’s definitely going to be helpful!

1 Like

We use it occasionally. Useful insight.

2 Likes

Hi Thifiya- Cell comments and Row notes are linked to a ‘member combination’. So, if you change the member combination the cell comment will be carried away and you will have a blank slate for the new member combinations for Cell comments and Row notes.

Hi Jamie- this gives me an idea of how you can combine conditional formatting with Row notes.

You can create a dynamic column which will change color for each row based on the Plan value you have.

So ,you create your report as you would normally do and insert an additional column. In that column you refer to your plan numbers

Next, you add conditional formatting with a multi layer logic plus make sure you set ‘Font color’ and ‘Fill color’ as same

And there you have your dynamic report which changes color based on the threshold you’ve set with a comment section!

Hi Crystal- check out the idea I shared with Jamie. Maybe you can incorporate that too.

1 Like

Yes in any report you would like to add comments, you can use Row notes.

Good idea Aakash. Thanks!

some of our reports need comments on column not row. It would be nice to have “Column Notes” feature.

Hi Xiang, could you share an example?

Hi Sonia,

Here is an example. The report has accounts in row, and entities (over 100) in column. Comments by entity at bottom is a blank row only. It could be replaced by “Column Notes” if we had this feature.

Thank you,

Xiang

1 Like

is it possible to see the user who added the row note, similar to the cell notes/comments?

I wish you were able to infoflex row notes.

1 Like

A) Aakash is awesome! Thank you for all of your help!
B) Row notes have been helpful to us in our budget template.

2 Likes

Very helpful to see screen examples…

1 Like